Thursday, August 11, 2011

A couple WIP's (Work in Progress's)

Seeing as I have been latley (as in the the last school holidays and literally about 2 hours last Sunday) been painting up some stuff for W.A.S.M.Ex. (Western Australian Scale Modellers Expo.), I thought i'd share some pictures I took.


Imperial Guard 'Chimera'

Since I have actually painted a few WWII U.S M4 shermans, I thought it'd be cool to paint a warhammer 40k tank up. As any good modeller, I did some research on the tank. The idea behind this tank is that it is a weaponized and armoured transport carrier. The thing that stikes me the most is that the crew can actually stick their guns out the side of the tank through 'shooting' holes and quite literally do a 'drive-by'.

In terms of how I obtained this model, I got it off some guy on http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php for about $30 including postage. Now that is cheap for any tank you buy out there for the size it is.This is what it looked when I got it.



I stripped her back to bare plastic by sitting her into some simple green (the most awesome yet environmentally friendly cleaner for almost anything! It is even good for cleaning cars... trust me) for a couple nights.

Seeing that there isn't any paint scheme I had to follow, I thought I'd use the classic German 'Tiger' tank colours. The colours are a yellow ochre, green olive drab and also a dark rusty brown colour.

I put on a coat of white tamiya primer (not black enamel paint hahaha) and after it dried, I airbrushed the tank in a the olive drab colour. Soon after I added in some shadows by adding in some really dark brown and even a very small hint of black. For highlights, I added in a bone colour to the original olive drab colour. I then masked up the tank so I could spray the yellow ochre color on. Using a similar process, i added some highlights and shadows to the yellow.
Seeing as the tank look a little boring, I using some pure rusty colour then freehand airbrushed it on there.

The next step was some weathing so airbrushed on a coat of gloss then let it dry over night. After that I got some burnt umber oil paint and thinned it out alot and just splashed it into most of the recesses. Next step was to get some rust coloured pigment and burnt umber again then place it around the tank in spots where rust would usually form. Using an air brush full of white spirits, I then sprayed over these spots and made them look like they 'ran' down the tank.


This is what it looks like at the moment:


I also 'drybrushed' the model and am now masking taping all of the model up besides the tracks so I can paint them next.

Heres the other model I am working on.

German WWII Soldier in 'Lorraine'

This is just a quick, fun piece I am slapping together to get better with a normal, small brush again. It's turning out OK but not that great. Green colour isn't the right tone but I can't care at the moment... It is after all just for fun :D



Will post some more updates after the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment